Wednesday, August 24, 2011

2010-2011 School Year

Logan and Cole had fantastic teachers the 2010-2011 school year.  Both teachers were young and stayed on top of the special needs the boys have.

Logan's teacher recognized with in the first few weeks his anxiety when taking a test and right away had his IEP adjusted.  We also started the RTi process of figuring out what exactly will help Logan as he was beginning to get behind in all his sujects.  The RTI process is basically a meeting of the teacher, therapists, guidance counselor and parent to determine how to best help the students.  They take their time in the process and collect data to help in determining what interventions help.   Logan's teacher was diligent in making sure he was getting the help he needed.  Everything they suggested for him included smaller, slower paced environments.  And he started a program called Spell/Read which really seemed to help him a lot with reading.  He still did not like to write or do homework.  But we worked through it and did what we could.

Cole's Kindergarten year started out rocky.  He had some major behavior issues that his teacher recognized right away as not in the range of 'normal' kindergarten behavior.  Once he adjusted to his classroom, he did much better.  His teacher stayed on top of his behavior and also keep me updated with his progress.  We did start the RTI process with him as well.  His teacher focused a lot on his comprehension of the story being told and in understanding sequencing etc. 

At the beginning of 2011 I started really thinking and praying for the boys reguarding school.  I felt a clear direction to start homeschooling in the 2011-2012 school year.  It was a tough decision b/c I didn't know if I could handle them at home all day.  But I research Homeschooling Special Needs children and found that it's a popular reason for homeschooling.  I found some great resources online and started really searching for curriculum that would help them succeed.  I spoke to several friends who were also thinking of homeschooling and friends that have been homeschooling for years.  I spoke to Whit about it extensively and I was shocked that he was actually really on board with me homeschooling them.  He felt like it would really help them and that I could do it.  So, I began preparing myself for the idea of homeschooling them.  The teachers at the boys school were supportive and the guidance counselor and principal were also helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment